- Mischief makers prompt Google to halt public map edits
Google on Monday said it is sidelining its crowd-sourced map making tool to implement a way to prevent bogus edits, some of which have proven embarrassing.
18 days ago 12 May 15, 9:50am
- Smartphones among top gadgets for Americans: survey
Smartphones are now used in 72 percent of US homes and have become the third most owned electronics item for Americans.
18 days ago 12 May 15, 9:16am
- Safaricom launches TV service
Free-to-air boxes come with free internet for six months.
22 days ago 8 May 15, 9:46am
- Ephemeral emails: Start-up shows off self-destructing messages
Confidential CC, has created an application that lets people send self-destructing messages from whatever email accounts they fancy.
23 days ago 7 May 15, 9:13am
- Smartphone video of boxing clash lands blow to copyright
Dozens of smartphone users streamed the Manny Pacquiao-Floyd Mayweather weekend fight.
24 days ago 6 May 15, 10:32am
- Husband of Facebook's Sandberg died on treadmill: official
David Goldberg, the husband of Facebook's Sheryl Sandberg, apparently died after falling on a treadmill and striking his head.
24 days ago 6 May 15, 8:34am
- Husband of Facebook's Sheryl Sandberg dies suddenly
David Goldberg, the husband of Facebook's chief operating officer Sheryl Sandberg, has died suddenly.
27 days ago 3 May 15, 4:39am
- ICT sector continues on upward trajectory to emerge second
ICT sector has defied the country’s overall slow growth, expanding 13.4 per cent with an output of Sh262.3 billion on the economy.
30 days ago 30 Apr 15, 8:30am
- Facebook collecting Nepal quake aid donations
Facebook was rolling out a donation button Monday for contributions to victims of the massive earthquake in Nepal, and offered to match up to Sh189 ($2 million).
32 days ago 28 Apr 15, 7:58am
- Online Webby awards honours Tinder, Vice
Online dating app Tinder was this year's "breakout" Internet service while bad-boy news website Vice Media got multiple honours in the "Webby" awards.
33 days ago 27 Apr 15, 12:59pm
- Russian hackers read Obama emails: report
Emails to and from President Barack Obama were read by Russian hackers last year in a breach of the White House's unclassified computer system.
34 days ago 26 Apr 15, 12:17pm
- Russian hackers infiltrated Pentagon network: US
Sensors that guard DoD's unclassified networks detected Russian hackers accessing one of Pentagon's networks.
36 days ago 24 Apr 15, 12:02am
- Facebook shifts News Feed, gives priority to friends
Facebook said it was reconfiguring its News Feed, in a move aimed at giving people more information on "the friends you care about."
38 days ago 22 Apr 15, 7:34am
- Japan robot receptionist welcomes shoppers
She can smile, she can sing and this robot receptionist who started work in Tokyo on Monday never gets bored of welcoming customers to her upmarket shop.
39 days ago 21 Apr 15, 7:21am
- Google revolutionises search to help mobile users
The change will affect mobile Internet searches in all languages worldwide.
42 days ago 18 Apr 15, 3:03am
- Kenyan government and ICT community in ‘honeymoon’
Technology scene seems more oriented towards solving practical, real-world problems.
43 days ago 17 Apr 15, 9:13am
- Paid results: what Google really offers
EU takes issue with Google listing right below the paid ads Google Flight, its own air ticket price comparison search service, before any natural results of its search engine.
44 days ago 16 Apr 15, 4:56am
- Jawbone banks on smart fashion trend beyond watches
The pending arrival next week of Apple Watch, which unofficial estimates indicate has about a million pre-orders and could ignite the smart watch market.
44 days ago 16 Apr 15, 2:04am
- Kenyan innovators tapped for continental prize
Kenyans, Alex Mwaura Muriu and Kyai Mullei are among 10 finalists who have been shortlisted for prestigious Innovation Prize for Africa and stand to win a shared prize of Sh14 million ($150,000).
46 days ago 14 Apr 15, 7:45am
- New streaming apps could boost citizen journalism
Periscope and rival app Meerkat, which can deliver live video through Twitter to anyone online can become an important tool for citizen journalism.
47 days ago 13 Apr 15, 4:56am
- Smartphones boost US teens' connections: survey
Even though 87 percent of teens have access to a computer, 91 percent went online daily using a mobile device at least occasionally.
51 days ago 9 Apr 15, 6:57am
- Samsung predicts record S6 sales will halt profit slide
Along with its curved-edge variant, the Galaxy S6 Edge, the S6 will hit stores at home and in some 20 countries on Friday.
51 days ago 9 Apr 15, 6:05am
- Twitter launches Meerkat-killer app Periscope
Twitter on Thursday launched its streaming video application Periscope, a move that could dampen enthusiasm for the rising online star Meerkat, which offers a similar service.
53 days ago 7 Apr 15, 12:57pm
- Indian police to use pepper-spraying drones on unruly protesters
Police in a northern Indian city said Tuesday they have a new weapon for controlling unruly protesters: pepper-spraying drones.
53 days ago 7 Apr 15, 10:43am
- Safaricom bundles: Validity vs volume trade off
Subscribers will get a smaller data allowance on a 90-day validity plans than they would under other tariff.
74 days ago 17 Mar 15, 10:15am
- Iran launches smartphone app for leader Khamenei speeches
Iran has launched a smartphone app for all the speeches made by its supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei over the past quarter of a century.
75 days ago 16 Mar 15, 5:15am
- Live stream app Meerkat a Twitter sensation
In the rapid-fire Twitterverse, Meerkat has become a sudden hit with tens of thousands of users trying it.
76 days ago 15 Mar 15, 9:06am
- Outage hits Apple's iTunes, App Store
The tech giant's status page showed the App Store, iTunes, iBooks store and Mac App store went down from 0900 GMT.
79 days ago 12 Mar 15, 6:58am
- London's National Gallery bans selfie sticks
Museums around the world have banned selfie sticks, alarmed by the possible hazards to visitors and artworks.
79 days ago 12 Mar 15, 6:45am
- Hillary Clinton and her private emails
Former secretary of state Hillary Clinton's private email account is at the heart of a swirling US political controversy.
79 days ago 12 Mar 15, 6:20am
- Smart wearables all the rage at 2015 Mobile World Congress
The future of internet will be with us in 2020; 2015 will be the year of the wearable.
81 days ago 10 Mar 15, 12:14pm
- Apple's next big thing goes for wrists
Apple aims to have its smart watch on wrists in China, the US and beyond in April, and ignite its first new gadget category.
81 days ago 10 Mar 15, 2:25am
- Safaricom extends bundles validity after online outrage
Data customers will now have the three months' expiry period for the different data tariff plans.
82 days ago 9 Mar 15, 7:55am
- Kenya’s women close digital gap
A new report released this week ranks Kenya’s women among the most connected in the world.
82 days ago 9 Mar 15, 7:16am
- Cyber thugs taking data hostage
Marriage therapist Valerie Goss turned on her computer one day and found that all of her data was being held hostage.
93 days ago 26 Feb 15, 10:42am
- Google bans sexually explicit content from blogging platform
Google has given all the users on blogger one month to comply.
94 days ago 25 Feb 15, 4:31am
- James Oswago, Trevy Oyombra to be grilled by EACC over chicken scam
The two were scheduled to appear before EACC on Monday but that was pushed to Wednesday.
94 days ago 25 Feb 15, 2:57am
- Parenting tech keeps tabs on children
American parents are fast realising that it is not that hard for them to snoop on their smartphone-addicted kids.
12 Feb 15, 8:13am
- Generation Z: Born in the digital age
Numbering around two billion, these youngsters, born after 1995 and unaware of a world without Internet, live a life that seems a million miles removed from the hopes, dreams and morals of previous generations.
11 Feb 15, 10:00am
- Global IT firms offer 100 internships to Kenyans
Global and Kenyan IT firms have pledged to offer hundreds of internship slots annually aimed at providing on-the-job training for fresh graduates.
11 Feb 15, 5:26am
- Apple becomes first company worth over $700 bn
Apple is far ahead in market value from the number two company, oil giant Exxon Mobil.
10 Feb 15, 10:37pm
- Microsoft to offer ICT training to government officials
Microsoft and an American-based university have partnered to offer training programs to senior officials in government.
5 Feb 15, 8:23am
- Bill Gates: Mobile money innovation to 'trickle up' to developed countries
Billionaire predicts services such as M-Pesa will eventually be adopted by wealthy nations.
5 Feb 15, 7:17am
- Amazon to offer business email, taking on Microsoft
US online giant Amazon announced plans to offer a cloud-based email and calendar service to directly compete with Microsoft Outlook and others.
29 Jan 15, 4:34am
- Kenya IT firms to benefit from Sh100m fund
The funds will benefit 33 SMEs and will support training and advisory services on export marketing.
29 Jan 15, 4:05am
- Apple profit hits new high on rocketing iPhone sales
Apple's quarterly profit soared to a record Sh1.6 trillion ($18 billion) on the back of unprecedented iPhone sales, the tech giant said Tuesday.
28 Jan 15, 7:20am
- Tradition meets Twitter as Saudis pledge to new king
Decades ago, Saudis trekked across their desert kingdom to pledge allegiance to their new kings at their palaces. Now they are just using Twitter.
28 Jan 15, 4:53am
- China's online population nears 650 million: govt
The number of Internet users in China has risen to nearly 650 million, authorities said over the weekend, as the world's largest online population continues to rise.
26 Jan 15, 3:10am
- Microsoft HoloLens goggles captivate with holograms
Microsoft's HoloLens goggles have hit a sweet spot between Google Glass and virtual reality headgear, immersing users in a mesmerizing world of augmented reality holograms.
25 Jan 15, 4:22am
- Facebook puts warning labels on graphic videos
Facebook is putting warning labels on graphic videos that members upload and share with friends, the leading social network said Tuesday.
15 Jan 15, 10:46am