- Blogger Alai in the dock over 'annoying tweet'
IEBC chairman Issack Hassan has told a court that he did not attend a meeting at the Karen Blixen Club as alleged by blogger Robert Alai Onyango in a posting on Twitter.
7 days ago 13 Aug 14, 9:17am
- High Court revokes Matiangi’s board appointments
The High Court in Nairobi has revoked Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiang'i’s appointments of board members to the Information Communication Technology Authority, citing procedural impropriety.
13 days ago 7 Aug 14, 8:51am
- Kenyans chatting more, talking less on phone — report
Kenyans are chatting more online and talking less to each other on mobile phones, the latest report by the Communications Authority of Kenya (CAK) indicates.
23 days ago 28 Jul 14, 7:07am
- Counties to be connected to fibre optic, Matiangi
All the 47 counties will soon be connected to the fibre optic cable to enhance service delivery to Kenyans.
24 days ago 27 Jul 14, 4:56am
- Net security, social media misuse pose hurdles for managers
Some employees spend up to 80 per cent of office time online and 46 per cent misuse bandwidth, say studies.
27 days ago 24 Jul 14, 10:39am
- Strathmore University eyes power bill cuts with mega solar system
As the cost of electricity keeps rising in Kenya, more companies and colleges are turning to cheaper energy. Strathmore University has joined Williamsons Tea Factory which produces its own one megawatt (MW) and UNEP Headquarters which produces 500 ki…
27 days ago 24 Jul 14, 10:15am
- Secure intellectual property to ensure business continuity
Tales have been told of developers who go missing or startups that burn out and go belly up leaving clients distraught.
27 days ago 24 Jul 14, 10:06am
- Hackings not unique to Kenya, learn from them: expert
Kenya’s inaugural digital media bootcamp kicked off on Thursday at the Usiu Africa auditorium where digital media staff from different corporates will be interacting on how to best use the platform.
27 days ago 24 Jul 14, 8:06am
- How to keep hackers at bay
IT expert says that internet software should be updated frequently to avoid creating loopholes that can be exploited by hackers
28 days ago 23 Jul 14, 12:15pm
- Accused Android app pirates face criminal charges
US prosecutors have unsealed indictments against six people suspected of collectively pirating millions of applications tailored for Android-powered mobile devices.
29 days ago 22 Jul 14, 8:04am
- Yahoo builds mobile muscle with Flurry buy
Yahoo continued its quest for renewed relevance with the purchase of a start-up specialising in analysing and making money from mobile applications.
29 days ago 22 Jul 14, 7:29am
- Online shopping makes progress in Kenya
The growth of internet access in Kenya has created income generating avenues for many.
29 days ago 22 Jul 14, 4:23am
- China Internet population reaches 632 million: govt
China is now home to 632 million Internet users, a government agency said Monday, although use of social networks has dropped amid a crackdown.
30 days ago 21 Jul 14, 7:26am
- Single-message app 'Yo' is what's up with investors
A messaging app that allows users to send the word "Yo" to friends has discovered newfound fame and fortune.
30 days ago 21 Jul 14, 1:48am
- French online forums overflow with hate over Israel offensive
The deadly Israeli offensive in Gaza has let loose an unprecedented wave of hate on media websites and social networks
30 days ago 21 Jul 14, 1:41am
- Microsoft to have biggest layoffs in history
US tech giant Microsoft has announced that it will have a workforce cut of 18,000 over the next year to simplify business and align the Nokia handset business.
33 days ago 18 Jul 14, 10:39am
- Kenyan companies yet to fully adopt digital media
Most companies in Kenya are yet to fully embrace the use of digital media in their business operations.
33 days ago 18 Jul 14, 10:31am
- Amazon launches unlimited e-book subscription plan
US online giant Amazon unveiled a Netflix-style subscription plan Friday for unlimited access to e-books and audio books.
33 days ago 18 Jul 14, 9:47am
- Is Google making us stupid?
Internet makes information more available than before but does not necessarily make us smarter
33 days ago 18 Jul 14, 9:18am
- Really smart cars are ready to take the wheel
Why waste your time looking for a place to park when your car can do it for you?
34 days ago 17 Jul 14, 10:32am
- Why you don't need that suggestion box
USIU alumni official and digital media practitioner Uvyu Mbole says offices should abandon the good old suggestion box and instead embrace social media as a way of engaging with clients and the public.
34 days ago 17 Jul 14, 10:18am
- Microsoft signs Safaricom deal for Lumia Apps purchase
Microsoft has signed a deal with Safaricom to offer mobile subscribers the ability to purchase Windows Phone applications (Apps)
34 days ago 17 Jul 14, 4:52am
- Apple picks Airtel for sale of iPhone 5s
Partnership means that customers will buy iPhone handset pre-loaded with Airtel multimedia settings.
34 days ago 17 Jul 14, 4:47am
- Huawei launches Ascend P7 smartphone in Kenya
Huawei Wednesday launched the Ascend P7 mobile phone, dubbed the slimmest smartphone, in Nairobi.
34 days ago 17 Jul 14, 4:44am
- Schools, IT vendor open new e-learning channels
Haier online solution aims to help institutions cut costs on equipment.
35 days ago 16 Jul 14, 5:05pm
- Groups target 15m African mothers with health facts
GSMA is offering opportunities under the programme to deliver health care through innovation.
35 days ago 16 Jul 14, 5:04pm
- Next generation technology incubator and accelerator
We have seen the blending of different methods and models ranging from co-working spaces to accelerators.
35 days ago 16 Jul 14, 5:00pm
- Bubblews gives a penny for your thoughts
A new social network says its goal is sharing among its users — including some of the profits.
35 days ago 16 Jul 14, 8:36am
- Japan messaging app LINE says eyeing Japan, US stock listings, WhatsApp, Facebook, Naver Corp, WeChat, Tencent Inc
Fast-growing messaging app LINE has said it was considering a share listing in Tokyo, a day after a report that it was eyeing an offering estimated at a whopping $9.8 billion.
35 days ago 16 Jul 14, 7:53am
- Yahoo spotlights live music to shine on Internet stage
Yahoo's hopes for renewed stardom on the Internet stage are being pinned on a song.
35 days ago 16 Jul 14, 7:44am
- Google adds ex-Ford Motor Company chief to board
Google has announced that former Ford Motor Company chief Alan Mulally has joined it board of directors.
35 days ago 16 Jul 14, 7:31am
- Federal Reserve says some tech firms overvalued
The Federal Reserve has warned that some high-flying technology firms may be overvalued, but rejected the idea of a stock market bubble.
35 days ago 16 Jul 14, 7:20am
- eBay, Sotheby's unveil tie-up on art auctions
Highbrow art house Sotheby's is opening a door to the masses in an alliance with Internet age online marketplace eBay.
35 days ago 16 Jul 14, 7:08am
- Apple denies Chinese claims of national security risk
US technology giant Apple is fighting Chinese claims that the iPhone threatens national security through its ability to track and time-stamp a user's location.
35 days ago 16 Jul 14, 5:35am
- Huawei takes road show to Sub Saharan Africa
Huawei has announced the arrival of the Mobile Broadband (MBB) Huawei Truck in Nairobi, Kenya for its Sub Saharan roadshow.
36 days ago 15 Jul 14, 6:43am
- New virtual makeup with facial recognition
36 days ago 15 Jul 14, 6:38am
- Is the iPhone a national security risk for China?
36 days ago 15 Jul 14, 6:38am
- Why Apple's iPhone 6 may be delayed
IDC Research Crawford Del Prete on why Apple’s new 5.5” iPhone 6 might be delayed to 2015
36 days ago 15 Jul 14, 6:38am
- Investors give Ushahidi founders Sh105m to assemble modems
A Kenyan technology firm BRCK has secured Sh105.5 million ($1.2 million) from foreign investors to expand its local and international operations.
37 days ago 14 Jul 14, 3:50am
- Google Seeks Privacy Debate in Europe on Right to Be Forgotten
Google Inc. is seeking a European Union-wide debate on the aftermath of a ruling that gave citizens the right to be forgotten online, as it admitted to mistakes in withdrawing links to news articles last week.
40 days ago 11 Jul 14, 5:03pm
- IBM to spend $3b aiming for computer chip breakthrough
IBM has announced plans to pump $3 billion into an overhaul of computer chip technology to better meet modern demands of "Big Data" and computing pushed to the Internet "cloud."
41 days ago 10 Jul 14, 6:49am
- Chinese hackers accessed US govt computers: report
Chinese hackers accessed US government computers containing personal information on all federal employees
41 days ago 10 Jul 14, 6:32am
- Industrial control a weak link in cybersecurity: study
Cybersecurity threats are rising for industrial control systems around the world
41 days ago 10 Jul 14, 6:19am
- The Internet has forever changed how goods and services are sold
Sellers no longer have the monopoly of hoarding information.
41 days ago 10 Jul 14, 6:14am
- JKUAT clicks way to first indigenous poultry databank
Varsity partners with ministry to package information on chickens, quails and guinea fowl.
41 days ago 10 Jul 14, 5:06am
- Intel pairs tech volunteers with NGOs for social cause
Intel plans to train Kenyan developers on how to develop better applications for tablet computers and mobile phones, particularly in the Android ecosystem.
41 days ago 10 Jul 14, 5:06am
- Prayer SMS aside, what is your mobile strategy?
The lash back on social media was expected but in my opinion misdirected as most ‘feedback’ was laced with emotion.
41 days ago 10 Jul 14, 4:53am
- Microsoft portal eases trademark processes for innovators
4Africa IP Hub helps developers to use legal means in protecting their work.
41 days ago 10 Jul 14, 4:51am
- Social entrepreneurs to benefit from Digital Bootcamp
Kenyan students seeking to boost their social entrepreneurship skills are set to benefit in the upcoming Digital Bootcamp.
42 days ago 9 Jul 14, 10:14am
- Chinese court rules against Apple in patent case
US technology giant Apple has lost a lawsuit against a Chinese state regulator over patent rights to voice recognition software such as the iPhone's "Siri"
42 days ago 9 Jul 14, 8:08am
- US military awards $40 million toward memory implant
US military researchers have announced they have awarded $40 million toward developing a new kind of brain implant that may help restore memories in wounded soldiers and civilians.
42 days ago 9 Jul 14, 7:53am
- Want to sell your cow? Try Quikr
An Indian answer to Craigslist is drawing millions of monthly visitors to its website, exchanging everything from used iPads to cows, in a country where second-hand goods have traditionally been sniffed at.
42 days ago 9 Jul 14, 7:39am
- Safaricom brushes off threat from new entrants
Bob Collymore played down the anticipated impact of three newly licensed mobile virtual network operators, including an Equity Bank subsidiary whose overlay SIM card technology his firm opposes.
43 days ago 8 Jul 14, 10:13am
- Samsung, Intel, Dell team up on standards for connected gadgets
Manufacturers are rolling out growing numbers of Internet-connected burglar alarms, televisions and light switches.
43 days ago 8 Jul 14, 9:39am
- Robbers grab Sh3 billion Samsung electronics in Brazil
Armed robbers raided a Samsung plant in Brazil on Monday, leaving with 40,000 smartphones and other electronics worth $36 million (Sh3.1 billion).
43 days ago 7 Jul 14, 11:46pm
- 5G networks not just next step beyond 4G networks: EU commissioner
It is important to understand that 5G mobile will be more than just the next step beyond today's 4G networks, Vice-President of the European Commission Neelie Kroes has said.
44 days ago 7 Jul 14, 4:38am
- Wifi firm Gowex says results fake, heads to bankruptcy
Spanish free wifi provider Let's Gowex has revealed its accounts have been falsified for at least four years and said it is filing for bankruptcy protection.
44 days ago 7 Jul 14, 3:55am
- Russian lawmakers pass new bill restricting Internet
Russia's parliament passed a bill on Friday requiring Internet companies to store Russians' personal data inside the country in an apparent move to pressure sites such as Facebook and Twitter into handing over user data.
45 days ago 6 Jul 14, 1:26pm
- International Criminal Court upgrades website with new features
The International Criminal Court has added new features to its website.
47 days ago 4 Jul 14, 10:44am
- China web firms bet on World Cup gambling fans
China's Internet giants and insurance companies are finding ever more innovative ways to get around the country's strict betting laws and reap a pay-out as fans wager billions on the World Cup.
47 days ago 4 Jul 14, 8:43am