- MIB II: Violent ejection of party official presents picture of Raila Odinga’s party imploding
Jubilee strategists could not have come up with a better script.
1 day ago 30 Oct 14, 3:53pm
- The ride to Mombasa was enjoyable, till potholes from Kanu era returned
The road today is worse than it has been for almost a decade.
1 day ago 30 Oct 14, 12:16pm
- Cheap energy the answer to empowering our idle youth through small businesses
One can only hope that Kenya Power’s inefficiency will not spoil the party.
1 day ago 30 Oct 14, 11:31am
- The world has a stake in fight against Ebola
Ellen Johnson Sirleaf in a letter to the BBC.
1 day ago 30 Oct 14, 11:22am
- A new type of ‘digital child’ is here, and every parent should have one
Kris Sanchez is the kind of child every modern parent would wish to have.
2 days ago 29 Oct 14, 11:58am
- Africa must find a way to silence the guns tearing it apart and secure future
It will be important that national governments improve democratic governance.
2 days ago 29 Oct 14, 11:53am
- Lifestyle audit will help fight corruption
The lifestyle audit system is a strong tool to fight public sector corruption
2 days ago 29 Oct 14, 11:49am
- Police must deal firmly with hooliganism
Ordering that matches be played behind closed doors could worsen the situation.
3 days ago 28 Oct 14, 2:12pm
- Judiciary doing a good job and should not be intimidated by other state arms
The Legislative and Executive arms of government are back to the old Kanu ways.
3 days ago 28 Oct 14, 2:03pm
- Western Kenya needs Mumias Sugar Company; please don’t allow it to die
All indications are that the company is in dire financial straits.
3 days ago 28 Oct 14, 1:52pm
- Withdraw referendum drive if it is to benefit already bloated political class
A just and noble cause cannot be fought with cheap tactics that reek of desperation.
4 days ago 27 Oct 14, 12:54pm
- Ban Ki-moon’s media campaign right way to enhance fight against FGM
The planned visit by the UN secretary-general is timely.
4 days ago 27 Oct 14, 12:24pm
- Curfew in Lamu is killing local economy
The economy of the local population is on the brink of collapse.
4 days ago 27 Oct 14, 11:34am
- Short-sighted Kenyan politicians are playing into the hands of terrorists
Is it possible that Kenya’s intelligence and security organs have been infiltrated by Al-Shabaab?
5 days ago 26 Oct 14, 12:04pm
- It is our responsibility to rein in misuse of antibiotics to avert looming disaster
A scratch to your skin by your own nails could in the future leave you fighting for your life.
5 days ago 26 Oct 14, 11:53am
- MCA trips are vital for good governance
Social scientists agree that comparing systems is an effective way for organisations to learn from each other.
5 days ago 26 Oct 14, 11:43am
- Uhuru Kenyatta, Jubilee and ICC politics
The relationship between Uhuru Kenyatta and William Ruto remains strong.
6 days ago 25 Oct 14, 3:35pm
- Robert Mugabe is clearly taking the joke too far with his ‘Grace for president’ project
This sort of managed transition always fails.
6 days ago 25 Oct 14, 11:17am
- Against tremendous odds, Nigeria beat Ebola; Kenya has taken note of its success
Nigeria has beaten back Ebola in record time. How did they do it?
6 days ago 25 Oct 14, 11:11am
- You gain precisely nothing by trading words with dimwits
Kenya’s social media are choke-full of bad manners, bigotry, tribe, sectarianism and sexism.
6 days ago 25 Oct 14, 11:05am
- The beggar who wants to be a soldier
Not everyone who sits on the pavements wants to make easy money.
6 days ago 25 Oct 14, 10:58am
- Heroes must conform to national narrative
We are not in agreement as to the nature of our national values.
6 days ago 25 Oct 14, 10:52am
- Kenya needs a village hero against ethnic hate campaign
Jubilee looks set to rekindle its diplomatic war against the ICC.
6 days ago 25 Oct 14, 10:47am
- The quest for ‘elite education’ is ruining our country
We must have different social classes interacting in our schools and colleges.
6 days ago 25 Oct 14, 10:36am
- So why does the taxpayer fund political parties?
How could PNU have a presidential hopeful in 2012 and be dead in 2014?
6 days ago 25 Oct 14, 10:30am
- Two Uhuru friends and their different contributions
Justin Muturi and Njee Muturi were close confidantes of the President.
6 days ago 25 Oct 14, 10:17am
- From the view of an African, Ebola raises a lot of queries
The attention of the international community is now focused on Ebola in Africa.
6 days ago 25 Oct 14, 10:11am
- Search for justice abroad for crimes committed in Africa
People are also increasingly seeking justice abroad, as a service.
6 days ago 25 Oct 14, 10:04am
- Generational change of guard and the Odinga dynasty
In recent weeks, the Odinga dynasty has reached a crossroads.
6 days ago 25 Oct 14, 9:56am
- Jubilee economic policy is taking us back to dark days
I have five reasons why Pan Paper should not be revived.
7 days ago 24 Oct 14, 3:26pm
- World Bank breached its guidelines on protection of indigenous communities
Ejections took place during a World Bank National Resources Management Project from 2008 to 2013.
7 days ago 24 Oct 14, 3:20pm
- Why identifying heroes is a slippery enterprise
Can there be a time in the life of a community when there are no more heroes?
7 days ago 24 Oct 14, 3:11pm
- To move on, Kenya must confront past demons
Last week in London, Richard Flanagan, an Australian novelist, was awarded this year’s Man Booker prize.
7 days ago 24 Oct 14, 2:51pm
- Sending refugees to Kenya is an opposition parties' idea
The Danish government does not plan to send refugees from Denmark to Kenya.
7 days ago 24 Oct 14, 2:45pm
- Why do Kenyans continue to shun and ignore some of its best brains?
I was too young to be taught by Prof Ali Mazrui. In fact, I feel a little envious reading the many interesting reflections of those who knew him personally and especially those whom he taught.
7 days ago 24 Oct 14, 12:31pm
- Lessons from Pistorius sentencing
The South African Paralympian's sentencing was thorough and painstaking, and rightly so.
7 days ago 24 Oct 14, 12:23pm
- Kenya stuck with English but failed to master its use
English, I will allow, is not our mother tongue. It was imposed on us by the ruling class of a colonising European nation — the Anglo-Saxons.
7 days ago 24 Oct 14, 12:18pm
- Shut down all the NGOs, Kenyans have become rich
Kwamchetsi Makokha’s sideways look at the role of NGOs in Kenya
7 days ago 24 Oct 14, 11:40am
- Ebola: A tale of racism, inequality and graft
Health scares make big news and the global media houses know that.
7 days ago 24 Oct 14, 11:11am
- Thought we ended one party state era? Nay, we just moved it to parties
My friend David is one of life’s treasures. He has a knack for truth and insight that I value, and one can always rely on David to provide out-of-the-box thinking even when it goes against everything that he was taught.
7 days ago 24 Oct 14, 11:11am
- Why, in this age, is Kenya keeping the death sentence in its law books?
For some reason, I could never stand to watch the long-running but now apparently defunct television series, Prison Break, which used to be a favourite of my folks at home.
7 days ago 24 Oct 14, 11:11am
- Adopting customs union should not be at the expense of our economic interests
Clearing and Forwarding firms have rekindled their agitation for the suspension of the Single Customs Territory (SCT) programme, arguing that it will make them lose business to their counterparts from the neighbouring countries.
8 days ago 23 Oct 14, 12:16pm
- More should be done to save coffee and tea
Tea is no doubt one of Kenya’s biggest foreign exchange earners. However, the latest events around the tea sector, coupled with the decreasing bonuses, are a matter of concern.
8 days ago 23 Oct 14, 12:05pm
- It will take an effort by the whole world to defeat menace of Ebola
The Ebola epidemic is threatening not only West Africans’ lives, but also the progress toward democracy, economic growth, and social integration that Liberia, Sierra Leone, and Guinea have made in the past decade.
8 days ago 23 Oct 14, 11:49am
- Guard against return of powerful House
The spat between Parliament and State House over whether Cabinet secretaries should be questioned by the House has been in the news recently.
9 days ago 22 Oct 14, 1:14pm
- Reformed labour laws, not bans, will end enslavement of migrant workers
Maria A, a Ugandan domestic worker in the United Arab Emirates, said her employer took her passport and phone, made her work from 5am to the middle of the night with no day off, beat her, kept her hungry, and paid only a fraction of the wages she w…
9 days ago 22 Oct 14, 12:53pm
- Robertson’s silly comments on Aids: Why do people say such things?
Idea that Nairobians would be greatly flattered to be served by white waiters is cringe-worthy.
9 days ago 22 Oct 14, 12:36pm
- IATA’s handling of ticketing dispute smacks of contempt for local laws
If the International Airlines Transport Association (IATA) does not get its way in its raging war with local travel agents, we could be headed for major disruption in the local travel agency market.
10 days ago 21 Oct 14, 12:32pm
- Difference between development and growth
To understand Kenya’s new status as a middle income country, imagine a man who has all along underestimated his wealth. He never educated his children. Then he discovers he is not at all poor.
10 days ago 21 Oct 14, 12:24pm
- Recognise and reward top taxpayers and you’ll be on the way to total compliance
Three years ago while trying to get my bearing at a train station in Pennsylvania, USA, I approached a man for assistance. He happened to be heading to the University of Pennsylvania which, coincidentally, was my final destination.
10 days ago 21 Oct 14, 12:17pm