- Something is wrong, and it is not with the population
What is our society coming to?
2 days ago 28 Mar 15, 9:59am
- Will Jubilee, a fractious outfit, prosecute its insiders?
It is difficult to see how the coalition can possibly prosecute insiders.
2 days ago 28 Mar 15, 9:53am
- Cartels are Kenya’s next obstacle to anti-corruption efforts
Attempts to investigate Goldenberg ran into the brick wall of local and outside cartels.
2 days ago 28 Mar 15, 9:46am
- Wave of violent anti-Semitism sweeps Europe
Increased Muslim immigration blamed for the rise in anti-Jewish violence.
2 days ago 28 Mar 15, 9:37am
- Religious education should not be indoctrination
Religious education curricula should go beyond proselytism.
2 days ago 28 Mar 15, 9:27am
- Africa’s original sin, in the words of Singapore’s founding father Lee Kuan Yew
He was brutally honest in his assessment of the prospects of the newly independent African nations.
2 days ago 28 Mar 15, 9:19am
- No, don’t cut the serviettes in half
Stay away from the shenanigans.
2 days ago 28 Mar 15, 9:01am
- Smart ways to protect your cellphone from attack
Rapid adoption of smart phones in daily life leaves many people vulnerable to financial attacks.
2 days ago 28 Mar 15, 8:29am
- Ruto’s foray into Rift Valley likely to bump into winds of political dissent
The last time I wrote about Deputy President William Ruto was May last year. Since then, I have barely noticed him.
3 days ago 27 Mar 15, 3:44pm
- Subjunctive mood ‘were’ has no tense
Ordinarily, the verb “were” follows only we, you and they, namely, only the plural forms of the first, second and third person pronouns.
3 days ago 27 Mar 15, 3:36pm
- Motorists are not paying illegal fines
An article titled, “How motorists are losing millions in illegal traffic fines”, (March 21) alleged that motorists are paying millions of shillings for non-existent traffic offences.
3 days ago 27 Mar 15, 3:28pm
- Global warming not a US campaign issue
The race for the US presidency has begun and the first issue is climate change.
3 days ago 27 Mar 15, 3:09pm
- How Clarkson slowly drove himself out of job
Jeremy Clarkson, presenter of Top Gear, one of the most watched TV programmes of all time, was finally fired from the BBC.
3 days ago 27 Mar 15, 2:59pm
- How drafters of 2010 Constitution ensured MPs won’t abuse it for political expediency
“The tragedy of Kenya’s new Constitution,” a Senator said to me recently, “is that only those who voted ‘No’ had actually read it before the referendum.”
3 days ago 27 Mar 15, 2:50pm
- Of plunderers and sexual predators, how bad can it get? fight corruption
President Uhuru Kenyatta has, so far, not been tainted by corruption. What he may not realise is that being clean is not enough. The mud is all around him and failing to rein in his greedy lieutenants could spell doom not only for him but to the Keny…
3 days ago 27 Mar 15, 2:29pm
- Questions for the women complaining of sexual assault
Since the repeal of the law forbidding women from falsely accusing important people of sexual offences, the practice has reached unbearable levels.
3 days ago 27 Mar 15, 2:09pm
- Nkaissery must end Turkana-Pokot war
Kainuk in South Turkana is back in the news for all the wrong reasons.
3 days ago 27 Mar 15, 2:03pm
- What the ICC should learn from witness mess in Uhuru Hague case
Two weeks ago, the ICC’s trial chamber noted the prosecution’s withdrawal of charges against President Kenyatta in December 2014 and terminated the proceedings against him.
3 days ago 27 Mar 15, 1:54pm
- Rot in police is the hallmark of Jubilee’s grand return to worst times of Moi era
Last weekend, a friend was involved in an accident in Nairobi. I went to help out, and though the cars were badly damaged, no one was seriously injured.
3 days ago 27 Mar 15, 1:38pm
- BBC’s action on Jeremy Clarkson is a lesson in how not to treat great talent
I am afraid this is about Jeremy Clarkson. I do not know why men like machines.
4 days ago 26 Mar 15, 12:14pm
- Media should strike a balance between the public good and privacy of patient
A hawker at the Nairobi Country Bus Station asked me to congratulate the Nation Media Group team that last week put together a series of stories on the plight of cancer patients at the Kenyatta National Hospital.
4 days ago 26 Mar 15, 12:06pm
- Punish those who looted Mumias Sugar
Although the cases of Mumias and CMC bear striking similarities, the responses of the authorities have been very different.
4 days ago 26 Mar 15, 11:58am
- What a mosquito, a potter in SA, and a Ugandan peasant have in common
The Icipe researchers asked the right and clever questions, but really they were good observers.
5 days ago 25 Mar 15, 12:08pm
- High Court ignored Constitution on the powers and duties of Ombudsman
Unlike Kenya, the UK and the Australian ombudsmen lack jurisdiction to investigate Parliament.
5 days ago 25 Mar 15, 11:55am
- To beat corruption networks, we must strengthen our financial management
The other day, the Cabinet decided that internal auditors will now report to the Cabinet secretaries of their specific ministries.
6 days ago 24 Mar 15, 1:13pm
- Africa can still learn important lessons from Lee Kuan Yew’s work in Singapore
Singapore did not advance because it had a benevolent dictator.
6 days ago 24 Mar 15, 1:00pm
- We have a lot to gain from regional trade
Nigeria could import fresh produce from Kenya and help feed 170 million people.
6 days ago 24 Mar 15, 12:52pm
- We elected these thieves, so it is our duty to kick them out of public office
A Facebook friend, Collins Wanderi, recently embarked on a series on the scourge of mega corruption in Kenya.
7 days ago 23 Mar 15, 12:25pm
- We should not allow pride to stand in way of peace; let’s talk with Al-Shabaab
Much as we would like to insist that we will not talk with terrorists, I think the time has come for Kenya to negotiate with Al-Shabaab.
7 days ago 23 Mar 15, 11:28am
- It is time to declare total war on corruption
A few years ago in America, two things happened that could be of significance to how we handle our burden of corruption.
7 days ago 23 Mar 15, 11:24am
- We shouldn’t sacrifice merit for convenience
The unions have consistently pushed for merit to be the overriding criterion in considering the appointment of top administrators.
8 days ago 22 Mar 15, 2:37pm
- Reforming institutions will help improve the quality of life and delivery of services
Kenya’s reform agenda is anchored on the implementation of the Constitution.
8 days ago 22 Mar 15, 2:36pm
- With the leaders we have, it is not a surprise that things aren’t going well
Today, obscenity laws forbid women from walking with their torsos uncovered.
8 days ago 22 Mar 15, 2:35pm
- No prof, reconciliation and cohesion are not dangerous and your views should be rejected
Last Saturday, Prof Gabrielle Lynch defended an unusual position, best summarised in the slogan “reconciliation is overrated”.
8 days ago 22 Mar 15, 5:47am
- No shortcuts to holistic growth — invest in education
Regular readers may remember a piece I wrote about the Kenyan middle class a few months ago.
9 days ago 21 Mar 15, 4:34pm
- Raila scored big in Kajiado, but why were Kenyans so fixated on results?
Where this obsession with politics springs from is a mystery.
9 days ago 21 Mar 15, 1:20pm
- Don’t push this JAP down people’s throats before they know what it is
Voters are more at home with parties they are familiar with.
9 days ago 21 Mar 15, 1:15pm
- In spite of being youthful Parliament is a big let-down
Parliament has become the personification of graft.
9 days ago 21 Mar 15, 1:11pm
- Creating a people-centred police service is my goal
An efficient Police Service must be centred on collaboration with the people.
9 days ago 21 Mar 15, 1:06pm
- Kenya not exploiting its mineral potential
Why is Tanzania so significantly ahead of Kenya in mining? It is not that we do not have minerals.
9 days ago 21 Mar 15, 1:01pm
- Sort out the grey areas in the capital gains tax
There is an avalanche of contentious issues with this tax.
9 days ago 21 Mar 15, 12:55pm
- Lack of solid political parties our main undoing
It is this that perpetuates the culture of tribalism and nepotism.
9 days ago 21 Mar 15, 12:46pm
- President must walk the talk in fight against corruption
The time for talk is over.
9 days ago 21 Mar 15, 12:41pm
- It is graft and poverty that imperil Africa’s emergence
A jubilant spirit of “Africa Rising” tolls the air.
9 days ago 21 Mar 15, 12:34pm
- Property prices: It’s London versus the rest
Average housing cost in London is double the rest of England.
9 days ago 21 Mar 15, 12:26pm
- Critical lessons on behaviour for teachers
We could be nurturing bullies when what drives our actions are fallacious assumptions.
9 days ago 21 Mar 15, 11:37am
- New convert William Ruto needs to show more than anti-graft talk
It will take much more than empty rhetoric for Mr Ruto to prove his doubters wrong.
9 days ago 21 Mar 15, 11:37am
- How’s the smartphone revolution treating you?
In 2010 I was urging businessfolk to pay attention.
9 days ago 21 Mar 15, 11:24am
- Little secrets that self-shot photos tell the world
There are possible dangers that users may not be aware of.
9 days ago 21 Mar 15, 11:14am
- Who will cleanse the temples in Kenya?
In mid-February this year, a UK court indicted the directors of Smith & Ouzman Limited in the “Chicken” scam.
10 days ago 20 Mar 15, 1:35pm