- NIC seeks Sh4.4bn World Bank loan
Mid-tier lender to join KCB, Equity and DTB which have inked similar deals with IFC.
2 days ago 19 Aug 14, 1:23pm
- Kenya gets low EA score on logistics
Survey says Rwanda, Uganda and Tanzania take the first three positions.
2 days ago 19 Aug 14, 1:16pm
- Micro-lender K-Rep Bank records 99pc profit rise to Sh120m
Micro-lender records Sh120.3 million after-tax profit for the half year to June.
2 days ago 19 Aug 14, 1:08pm
- Over 400,000 linked to power grid last year
House team told electricity agency plans to connect 6,065 schools by end of this year.
2 days ago 19 Aug 14, 1:02pm
- Safaricom reduces M-Pesa charges to fend off Equity
Safaricom has announced it will reduce the fees charged for M-Pesa transactions as it moves to counter impending competition from Equity’s planned mobile virtual network business.
2 days ago 19 Aug 14, 10:04am
- Review levies on low-end market, Keroche Industries tells MPs
Naivasha-based firm calls for sustainable tax regime as opposed to zero-rating of products.
3 days ago 18 Aug 14, 1:53pm
- Agriculture ministry seeks bids for livestock insurance cover
Ministry asks insurance firms to place bids to provide cover for the 2014/2015 financial year
3 days ago 18 Aug 14, 1:47pm
- Jimnah Mbaru new chairman of stockbroker lobby group
Mr Mbaru voted in as the new chair of the Kenya Association of Stockbrokers and Investment Banks.
3 days ago 18 Aug 14, 1:42pm
- Parliament urged to probe Patrick Musyimi on Kenya Planters’ Co-operative Union woes
Commissioner accused of vested interests and slow pace of action in reviving union.
3 days ago 18 Aug 14, 1:33pm
- Uganda power firm Umeme Ltd posts 19pc profit drop to Sh1.3bn
Power distributor posts a 19 per cent decline in net profits for the half-year to June.
3 days ago 18 Aug 14, 1:26pm
- Energy ministry begins search for locals with oil sector skills
Move will boost local participation following discovery of large volumes of the resource.
3 days ago 18 Aug 14, 1:20pm
- National Social Security Fund launches new campaign
NSSF managing trustee Richard Langat says Kenya’s retirement savings rank among the lowest in the region.
3 days ago 18 Aug 14, 1:14pm
- Delta dampens talk of direct US-Kenya flights
Delta Airlines said on Monday it has no “near-term” plans to begin direct flights between the United States and Kenya.
4 days ago 18 Aug 14, 8:27am
- Cofek seeks to halt KQ flights to West Africa
The Consumers Federation of Kenya (Cofek) has filed an application seeking to compel Kenya Airways to cancel flights to all West Africa destinations hit by the Ebola outbreak.
4 days ago 18 Aug 14, 6:50am
- West Africa flight ban leaves Kenya Airways in a fix
Kenya Airways is staring at a ticket-refund nightmare following flight cancellations to two key West African routes due to the Ebola outbreak.
4 days ago 18 Aug 14, 12:14am
- Sh400bn Galana irrigation scheme ‘back on course’
Contract signing ceremony with Israeli firm for a ‘model farm’ to be done on Tuesday, with the first crop expected in February 2015.
4 days ago 17 Aug 14, 12:33pm
- Co-operative Bank in deal with ASL to provide building materials
The deal between ASL Ltd and Co-op’s mortgage arm will grant customers access to construction materials.
4 days ago 17 Aug 14, 12:30pm
- Sidel international eyes Kenya’s packaging industry
The move is a clear onslaught on Tetra-Pak’s turf.
4 days ago 17 Aug 14, 12:25pm
- The big picture in new fight for Nairobi tenants
Besides tiled floors, many highrise flats are offering free Pay TV, Internet services.
4 days ago 17 Aug 14, 12:17pm
- Water institute to build Sh240m resource centre
Kenya Water Institute set to build a Sh240 million regional resource centre.
4 days ago 17 Aug 14, 12:14pm
- State to partner with Israeli firm to create online database of Kenyans
The project is a presidential initiative that would first profile all public servants and their property and relations.
5 days ago 16 Aug 14, 11:53am
- Kenya stops 11 firms from exporting to Europe
Government bans 11 firms from exporting horticulture to Europe for at least a month.
5 days ago 16 Aug 14, 11:46am
- Co-op Bank now joins competition for mobile money with launch of service
Service will levy a one-off seven per cent fee for secured personal loans of between Sh100 and Sh200k
5 days ago 16 Aug 14, 11:40am
- Tullow and Africa Oil engages govt over new tax
Oil prospectors engage the government to ensure that a new taxation regime does not curtail investor interest.
5 days ago 16 Aug 14, 11:34am
- Farmers hopeful as state revives processing company
The revamped PPCK will be a private company owned by farmers and managed through directors elected by them.
5 days ago 16 Aug 14, 11:29am
- Firm seeks new audit system in readiness for big spending
Sources privy to the undertaking say the move is intended to mitigate possible fraud.
5 days ago 16 Aug 14, 11:20am
- Centum putting up a Sh17bn satellite town in Ruaka
The project, dubbed “Two Rivers”, sits on 100 acres and will be carried out in two phases.
5 days ago 16 Aug 14, 11:10am
- East African Community writing law to govern regions’ co-operative societies
The Bill aims to create a harmonised legal framework that will enable co-operative societies to exploit their potential in the region.
5 days ago 16 Aug 14, 11:02am
- Jubilee rolls out cash back reward as it woos women
Insurance companies are battling to win over women through motor vehicle covers designed specifically for them due to perceived lower risk compared to male drivers.
6 days ago 15 Aug 14, 4:18pm
- Mobile banking hots up as Co-op enters fray
Cooperative Bank of Kenya has become the latest lender to introduce a mobile-based banking platform
6 days ago 15 Aug 14, 2:08pm
- Kenya Airways shares to suffer over W. Africa flights
It will not be good news for shareholders if Kenya Airways is coerced into suspending its flights to West Africa.
6 days ago 15 Aug 14, 1:58pm
- Bank courts SMEs with loans
National Bank has launched a new product targeting micro and small businesses.
6 days ago 15 Aug 14, 1:51pm
- Tax waiver on Senator a relief for beer maker
Parliament has proposed to recommend a tax waiver on Senator Keg, in a move that promises a new lease of life to East Africa Breweries and consumers.
6 days ago 15 Aug 14, 1:47pm
- Koskei axes two more board bosses of meat firm
A week after axing 10 commissioners of Kenya Meat Commission, Agriculture Cabinet Secretary Felix Koskei has sent home two other officials, leaving only the processor’s chairman on the board.
6 days ago 15 Aug 14, 1:42pm
- KPCU crisis turns ugly as rival team takes over office
The leadership wrangles at Kenya Planters’ Co-operative Union took a new twist Friday after a group backed by the ministry for Industrialisation took over offices despite a court order against such a move.
6 days ago 15 Aug 14, 1:33pm
- Pomato offers you two harvests in one
His prisons uniform comprising of a jungle green trouser, a matching short-sleeved shirt, black boots and a green cap make him appear anything else but a researcher.
6 days ago 15 Aug 14, 10:47am
- Disease that wiped out my 60 rabbits
David Githaiga walks to his rabbits coop carrying a bunch of grass mixed with weeds and sukuma wiki, which rabbits love to eat.
6 days ago 15 Aug 14, 10:34am
- GREEN MARKET : Where buyers and producers meet
I am looking for a regular supplier of cow manure. We are based in Bumula, Bungoma County.
6 days ago 15 Aug 14, 10:14am
- Forget beans, njahi gives me better deal
When a friend advised me to ditch maize for dolichos beans (njahi) in 2010, I was confident that that would be the best thing for me.
6 days ago 15 Aug 14, 9:57am
- Hope for cassava farmers as ethanol brews more options
Seated under a mango tree, the group of women in Kilifi County listen to their chairlady carefully as she tells them how to manage their crops.
6 days ago 15 Aug 14, 9:43am
- With my juice bar, brokers can’t earn a penny from me
It is a market day on this Friday in Gatundu and Charles Mundia is gearing up to sell his produce. He packs the sweet yellow passion fruits in bags.
7 days ago 15 Aug 14, 9:32am
- Retired teacher who spurred a green revolution in a sleepy, dusty village
The building at the far end of the stone-walled premises hosts fine-looking piles of freshly packed mango, passion and lemon juices in bottles of different sizes, shapes and colours.
7 days ago 15 Aug 14, 9:19am
- How I run my farm on the phone
To many people, farming entails being physically on the farm, turning the soil in and out or feeding and milking the cows.
7 days ago 15 Aug 14, 9:01am
- Here’s a new crop to sweeten your harvest
The stevia plant (stevia rebaudiana bertoni) is a natural sweetener.
7 days ago 15 Aug 14, 8:54am
- Beginning to farm: What you must do for quality harvest
managu, cow peas and sagaa. Where can I get high quality seeds for the above mentioned crops.
7 days ago 15 Aug 14, 8:44am
- House team turns away ‘junior staff’ of China firm
A parliamentary committee meeting to investigate the award of a contract for the Mombasa-Nairobi oil pipeline Thursday turned away officials from China Wu Yi construction firm, saying they were too junior.
7 days ago 14 Aug 14, 3:42pm
- DTB to expand to five nations after share sale
DTB Group has announced plans to enter five new markets in East, Central and Southern Africa.
7 days ago 14 Aug 14, 1:46pm
- Online database of all Kenyans to start in October
A plan to create an online database of all Kenyans will begin in October starting with civil servants.
7 days ago 14 Aug 14, 1:36pm
- StanChart posts 33pc profit jump despite rise in bad debts
Standard Chartered Bank recorded 33 per cent increase in after-tax profit during the first half of 2014 despite a significant growth in bad debts.
7 days ago 14 Aug 14, 1:28pm
- House budget committee mulls introduction of capital gains tax
Capital Gains Tax might be re-introduced following a recommendation by a parliamentary committee.
7 days ago 14 Aug 14, 1:19pm