- Joho, Marwa talk tough as three mosques reopened
Three out of four controversial mosques which were closed down by police were re-opened Thursday but Mombasa county leaders talked tough against indiscipline and extremism among youth from the region.
22 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 1:32pm
- Crowd trouble mars public viewing of body
The planned public viewing of Senator Otieno Kajwang’s body in Kisumu and his rural home was Thursday marred by crowd trouble as youths scrambled to get access to the tent sheltering the coffin.
22 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 1:19pm
- Green light before Friday prayers at Masjid Musa
Friday prayers will not be held at Mombasa’s Musa Mosque until a committee appointed to run it gives the all-clear.
22 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 12:54pm
- Intelligence blamed over bus killings
A security expert has blamed poor intelligence for the Mandera bus attack, which claimed 28 lives.
22 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 12:35pm
- Crisis as workers flee Mandera
There was mass exodus Thursday as people working in the terror-hit Mandera County have decided to flee by road.
23 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 12:27pm
- Lift Lamu curfew, demand leaders
MPs of the Muslim faith have mounted pressure on the government to lift curfew in Lamu. They claimed it was part of a scheme to sabotage the county’s economy.
23 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 12:14pm
- Orange MPs oppose new line-up
More Orange party MPs have opposed the party’s compromise list of officials and demanded that the entire membership participate in elections.
23 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 11:57am
- Governors, Cord step up push for referendum
The Okoa Kenya and Pesa Mashinani referendum initiatives are set to finalise their respective draft Bills next week ahead of their presentation to the electoral commission next month.
23 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 11:50am
- Cord leader sues Mungatana over Sh12 million debt
Bungoma Senator Moses Wetangula is embroiled in a legal tussle with Mr Danson Mungatana over a Sh12 million “friendly loan” that the Kenya Ports Authority chairman has allegedly failed to pay.
23 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 11:40am
- Horror in class: Teacher jailed for life
A teacher was Thursday jailed for life for slashing his pupil’s scrotum with a razor blade.
24 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 11:28am
- Pressure piles up to sack Chirchir
Four ODM legislators Thursday piled pressure on President Kenyatta to sack Cabinet Secretary for Energy Davis Chirchir over corruption claims.
24 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 11:15am
- Thousands protest at US embassy in London over Ferguson case
The roughly five thousand London protesters held signs reading "Black lives matter".
24 hours ago 27 Nov 14, 11:14am
- Witness’ sister’s body was under bed
A witness Thursday recounted in a Nairobi court that the body of her sister lay under a bed she was unwittingly sleeping in at a rented house.
1 day ago 27 Nov 14, 11:01am
- Israel thwarts attack on Jerusalem stadium
No details were given on the types of attacks planned, or the fate of the suspects.
1 day ago 27 Nov 14, 10:59am
- Lamu port project halted in land row
The government has been told to stop any further construction of the Lamu port until a petition filed by aggrieved land owners is heard and determined.
1 day ago 27 Nov 14, 10:54am
- I’ll not resign, declares besieged Eala Speaker
East African Legislative Assembly Speaker Margaret Nantogo Zziwa is adamant that she will not quit.
1 day ago 27 Nov 14, 10:50am
- Guinea president backs use of force to eradicate Ebola
Guinean President Alpha Conde says use of force justified in battling the deadly Ebola.
1 day ago 27 Nov 14, 10:35am
- Five in court for stripping woman in Kayole
They did not plead to charges as one of them is deaf and mute and requires an interpreter.
1 day ago 27 Nov 14, 10:08am
- Terrified DR Congo refugees prefer hunger to home
Thousands like prefer to live in abject poverty in refugee camps rather than risk being raped, killed or robbed by Hutu rebels.
1 day ago 27 Nov 14, 9:19am
- Embattled EALA Speaker Margaret Zziwa says ouster is illegal
The Speaker is accused of mismanaging the affairs of the regional House and abuse of office.
1 day ago 27 Nov 14, 7:45am
- Ebola vaccine promising in first human trials
The news comes amid the worst ever outbreak of the haemorrhagic fever.
1 day ago 26 Nov 14, 11:09pm
- 4 Mombasa mosques to reopen Thursday
The four mosques closed by the police last week after being taken over by radical youths are expected to be reopened Thursday.
2 days ago 26 Nov 14, 2:49pm
- Uhuru Kenyatta fires back at critics over security
President Kenyatta Wednesday told Kenyans to stop blaming his government alone for rising insecurity and play their role in securing the country.
2 days ago 26 Nov 14, 2:35pm
- Protests disrupt final farewell for senator
Chaotic scenes marred an interdenominational funeral service for Senator Otieno Kajwang’ when rowdy youths demanded to view his body.
2 days ago 26 Nov 14, 2:23pm
- ODM plans grand burial for Kajwang’
ODM supporters in Nyanza have prepared what they call a “grand reception” for the late Senator Otieno Kajwang.
2 days ago 26 Nov 14, 2:16pm
- Youth who attacked us were hired, say ‘Occupy’ activists
Organisers of a demonstration held on Tuesday want the police to take action against youths who attempted to disrupt their protest.
2 days ago 26 Nov 14, 2:05pm
- Court grants police time to probe cases
A Mombasa court has granted police seven more days to investigate 13 men arrested during the raids on Musa and Sakina mosques two weeks ago.
2 days ago 26 Nov 14, 1:40pm
- Sang used ‘coded words to incite hate’
Journalist Joshua Sang twisted the meaning of popular Kalenjin sayings to spread hate against other communities.
2 days ago 26 Nov 14, 1:31pm
- Bloggers ‘want Omar to be killed’
Two bloggers have been accused of calling for the killing of Mombasa Senator Hassan Omar, triggering fierce debate, with the House demanding their prosecution.
2 days ago 26 Nov 14, 1:26pm
- Lawyers petition to prosecute men stripping women
Lawyers are seeking permission from the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) to prosecute men who strip women in public.
2 days ago 26 Nov 14, 1:03pm
- We’re on course, say Ngilu, Swazuri
A Supreme Court order and a presidential directive to end conflicts between the Lands ministry and the National Land Commission are bearing fruit.
2 days ago 26 Nov 14, 12:56pm
- Ndung’u appeals to stop tender fraud case
The governor of the Central Bank of Kenya now claims that the High Court erred by allowing his prosecution on what he terms non-existent crimes.
2 days ago 26 Nov 14, 12:50pm
- Bid to bring back Bill on cheap beer hits snag
Members of Parliament have thwarted an attempt to reintroduce tax waivers for alcoholic drinks meant for the low end of the local market.
2 days ago 26 Nov 14, 12:38pm
- MPs to probe energy firm over new posts
The National Assembly will investigate the affairs of the Geothermal Development Company after it received a petition questioning the management of the State corporation.
2 days ago 26 Nov 14, 12:30pm
- Aids war targets drug users, gays
Special services for drug addicts, prostitutes, gays and children have been launched in fresh efforts to stop the spread of the Aids virus.
2 days ago 26 Nov 14, 11:41am
- Minister on the spot over biotech foods
Scientists from local universities want the Cabinet Secretary for Health, Mr James Macharia, compelled to release findings of a taskforce on the health effects of GM foods.
2 days ago 26 Nov 14, 11:36am
- House team gives nod to Sh2.5trn bid
A parliamentary committee has asked the House to approve the Treasury’s request to borrow up to Sh2.5 trillion from foreign sources.
2 days ago 26 Nov 14, 11:29am
- UN seeks to stop online spying
The five countries are not among the 65 co-sponsors of the resolution.
2 days ago 26 Nov 14, 10:42am
- President Uhuru Kenyatta urges Kenyans to play role in ensuring country’s security
President Uhuru Kenyatta on Wednesday told Kenyans to stop blaming only the government for rising insecurity.
2 days ago 26 Nov 14, 10:33am
- Row over Ebola kit as doctor dies
He would have survived had he been diagnosed early, added the doctors.
2 days ago 26 Nov 14, 10:13am
- Sudan kicks out UN team in Darfur feud
He did not elaborate any further and the UN-AU mission did not immediately comment.
2 days ago 26 Nov 14, 10:12am
- Zimbabwe vice president ousted from party post in succession war
ZANU-PF rejected Mrs Mujuru's election papers ahead of a key party congress next week.
2 days ago 26 Nov 14, 6:40am
- Namibia prepares for Africa's first e-vote
Opposition parties have launched an 11th-hour challenge to the use of the Indian-made e-voting machines
2 days ago 26 Nov 14, 3:45am
- Court bars MP Moses Kuria from making comments over Mandera terror attack
The order was sought by the prosecution when Mr Kuria appeared for the mention of a hate speech case against him.
2 days ago 26 Nov 14, 2:29am
- US calls for help in feeding 500,000 refugees in Kenya
The US noted that it has provided more than $111 million to assist refugees in Kenya this year.
2 days ago 26 Nov 14, 1:31am
- Uhuru Kenyatta returns from Abu Dhabi amid Mandera killings outrage
President Kenyatta held talks with Jordan and UAE leaders on security and combating terrorism.
2 days ago 26 Nov 14, 12:36am
- Gatundu South MP Moses Kuria’s bid to stop hate speech case fails
Moses Kuria allegedly posted hate speech messages on his Facebook account in May.
2 days ago 25 Nov 14, 11:49pm
- Fears of fresh war as Russia backs rebels
Russia cemented control over neighbouring Georgia’s rebel Abkhazia region Tuesday with a “strategic partnership” deal that the Georgian government said amounts to annexation.
3 days ago 25 Nov 14, 3:29pm
- US explodes in race riots after verdict
Protesters set buildings ablaze, shot at police and looted stores in the US town of Ferguson on Monday.
3 days ago 25 Nov 14, 3:22pm
- Workers dump Ebola bodies in salary protest
Burial workers in the Sierra Leonean city of Kenema have dumped bodies in public in protest at non-payment of allowances for handling Ebola victims.
3 days ago 25 Nov 14, 3:15pm